Rhinoplasty Procedure: Nose Job Surgery, Risks, Benefits, Doctors & Specialists
One of the most common types of plastic surgery which is done to improve the functioning of the nose and its shape is known as rhinoplasty.
Medical reasons for rhinoplasty may include correction of breathing issues associated with the nose or correct disfigurement due to any previous trauma or birth defects. Another reason may be for aesthetical purposes – to change the nose’s appearance and shape.
Possible changes that our surgeons at Yashoda can make to your nose through rhinoplasty include:
- Narrowing of nostrils
- Change in size
- Change in angle
- Straightening up of the bridge
- Reshaping the tip
If you are thinking of getting rhinoplasty done, Yashoda Superspeciality Hospital & Cancer Institute, Sanjay Nagar, Ghaziabad has leading plastic surgeons for the same. It is also important to understand that there is no such thing such as a perfect nose. Surgery though, can enhance your facial features and thereby your confidence. Hence, a rhinoplasty surgery that helps in rectifying facial features will make you look unique, enhancing your appearance. Our surgeons at Yashoda Superspeciality Hospital & Cancer Institute, Sanjay Nagar, Ghaziabad will evaluate the structures of your nose and other facial features. Our surgeons will also consider your overall health and update you with the risks, recovery time and costs involved in the procedure. There are various techniques for reshaping the nose. Once you decide to go ahead, our surgeons will describe exactly what they propose to do. Primarily, rhinoplasty surgery is suggested when there is a requirement to clear the blocked nasal passages so that the patient can breathe more freely. ENT surgeons also give their suggestions including thorough evaluation via proper physical examination. Our pre-eminent team of doctors at Yashoda gives world-class treatment for nose-related issues, the best in Delhi NCR and Ghaziabad.
Rhinoplasty Surgery Risks
As with any major surgery, Rhinoplasty carries risks such as:
- An adverse reaction to anesthesia
Other possible risks specific to Rhinoplasty include but are not limited to:
- Pain, discoloration, or swelling that may persist
- Difficulty in breathing through the nose
- Permanent numbness in and around the nose
- The possibility of an uneven-looking nose
- A hole in the septum (septal perforation)
- Need for additional surgery
How to prepare before the rhinoplasty surgery
- Your medical history: Our doctors will ask questions about your medical history, including a history of nasal obstruction, surgeries, and/or any medications you take.
- Physical exam: An entire physical examination should be conducted by our leading doctors, including any laboratory tests, such as blood tests.
- Photographs: Pictures of your nose from different angles for before-and-after assessments.
- Food and medications: Medications containing aspirin or ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin IB, others) should be avoided, for two weeks before and after surgery. These medications may increase bleeding.
Rhinoplasty does not have any ordered series of steps. Each surgery is customized and unique keeping in mind the specific anatomy and goals of the person getting the surgery.
Procedure of rhinoplasty surgery
– Administering anesthesia
– Making incisions
– Reshaping nose structure
– Correcting the septum
– Stitching the cuts
Depending on the complexity of the surgery, our doctors may give local anesthesia with sedation or general anesthesia. Rhinoplasty is done inside your nose through a small external cut (incision) at the base of your nose between your nostrils. After making changes, the surgeon places the nose’s skin and tissue back and stitches the incisions in the nose. If the wall between the two sides of the nose (septum) is bent or crooked (deviated), the surgeon can also correct it to improve breathing.
Benefits of Rhinoplasty Surgery
Here is a list of benefits of Rhinoplasty that a patient should consider:
- Making it easier to breathe freely
- Giving shape to the nostrils
- Increasing or decreasing the nose size
- Reducing the nasal tip
- Reducing the size of the bridge
- Creating a balance between the facial structures
- Enhancing the overall aesthetics of the face
- Correcting a deviated septum
After the Rhinoplasty Surgery
Our doctors at Yashoda may advise you to avoid the following for a few weeks after your surgery:
- Running and other strenuous physical activities
- Blowing your nose
- Excessive chewing
- Laughing, smiling or other facial expressions that may require a lot of movement • Pulling clothing over your head
- Resting eyeglasses on your nose
- Vigorous tooth brushing
Be careful about any sun exposure. Too much sunlight can permanently discolor the skin around the nose. For faster recovery, our specialists at Yashoda Superspeciality Hospital & Cancer Institute, Sanjay Nagar, Ghaziabad provide a list of instructions to follow.
- Rest for one week at the least.
- Usage of over-the-counter nasal sprays to lessen the chances of nasal bleeding. Remember not to use these regularly, or else the nose may get blocked.
- Try nasal wash with saline solution from the first day of recovery itself. Furthermore, wash the nasal passage twice a day to remove any blood clot or debris. Eventually, this helps in breathing.
- In case of nosebleeds, the patient can tilt his/her head back slightly and breathe gently through the nose. Dab the nose gently with a tissue.
Specialists at Yashoda Superspeciality Hospital & Cancer Institute, Sanjay Nagar, Ghaziabad
Dr. Nandini Ramaswamy (Senior Consultant, Plastic Surgery)
Dr. Nandini Ramaswamy is one of the best plastic surgeons in Delhi NCR. World-renowned for her work, she started microvascular free tissue transfer and microvascular limb salvage post-trauma at Yashoda Hospital having worked in various sub-specialties of plastic surgery including cleft lip and palate, congenital deformities of hand, trauma (maxillofacial, hand, lower limb), oncoplastic (breast, head & neck and extremity) reconstruction, microvascular free tissue transfer and cosmetic procedures (liposuction, abdominoplasty, breast reduction & augmentation, facelift & brow lift, rhinoplasty, botox, fillers, and hair transplant). She adds aesthetics in onco constructions.
Dr. Vipin Saigal (Consultant, Plastic & Cosmetic Surgery)
Dr. Vipin Saigal is an expert in performing regular plastic surgeries and dealing with polytrauma. Dr. Saigal has expertise in facial dermabrasion, facial peels for post-acne scar marks, melasma, facial scarring, facial wrinkles, and in dealing with botox therapy and facial fillers for different ages.