Obstetrician-Gynaecologist: Who Are They & When is The Best Time to Visit Them?
Doctors who specialise in women’s health are known as obstetrician-gynaecologist often abbreviated as OB-GYN or OB/GYN or O&G.
It is a medical speciality which includes two subspecialties- obstetrics (pregnancy, childbirth and postpartum period) and gynaecology (health of reproductive organs like uterus, vagina,
Some OB-GYNs provide general healthcare services such as primary healthcare while others aim to provide medical care for the female reproductive system. OB-GYNs can perform surgeries as well as conduct labour and delivery.
What exactly does obstetrics & gynaecology mean?
Obstetrics is a field of study related to medical care before, during and after a woman gives birth. During maternity, an obstetrician maintains and takes care of women’s overall health
which may include pregnancy, labour, childbirth and the postpartum period.
Gynaecology is a field of study that deals with the female reproductive system. It includes the diagnosis, treatment and care of the ovaries, uterus, vagina and fallopian tubes (oviduct).
It also treats and diagnoses issues related to breasts. Gynaecologists deal with all women-pubertal to adult.
Conditions that obstetrician-gynaecologist (OB-GYNs) treats:
An obstetrician-gynaecologist diagnosis manages and treats a wide range of medical
conditions depending on your health, age and reproductive goals. Here are some conditions under which you may need to visit an obstetrician-gynaecologist (OB-GYN):
- If you are suffering from abnormal bleeding
- If you have pain in the pelvic region
- If you suffer from genital itching
- In case of urinary tract infections (UTI)
- If you have breast-related issues
- If you have hormone-related disorders
- In case of infertility
In all these cases, you must consult an OB-GYN near you.
Procedures that an obstetrician-gynaecologist (OB-GYN) performs:
Obstetricians-gynaecologists (OB-GYN) are well-trained in performing various kinds of major and minor surgeries.
These surgeries and procedures may include biopsy, dilation and curettage, tubal ligation for female sterilisation, laser surgery, hysterectomy (removal of the uterus), and myomectomy (removal of fibroids), etc.
They also perform in-vitro fertilisation, vaginal delivery (natural delivery), caesarean delivery (C-section), forceps and vacuum deliveries, amniocentesis (a test to determine the sex of
the baby and to detect genetic abnormalities) to manage health during pregnancy, childbirth and the postpartum period.
Pelvic examination (pap smear), clinical breast examination via mammography, cancer
screening etc. are some of the tests that an obstetrician-gynaecologist (OB-GYN) may use to diagnose the cause of a disease.
When should you see an obstetrician-gynaecologist (OB-GYN)?
- Women who have attained puberty or entered adulthood must visit an
obstetrician–gynaecologist (OB-GYN) at least once a year.
- Apart from annual check-ups, one must visit a doctor in case of any
changes/commencement of the reproductive cycle like the first menstrual cycle, pregnancy, or menopause.
- In case of any abnormal changes in the reproductive cycle such as pain during intercourse, changes in the frequency of the menstrual cycle, pain while urinating, or unusual abdominal cramps. In such cases, your doctor will conduct a physical examination (such as a pelvic test), evaluation and screening test if required, depending upon your age and health.
- You must visit an OB-GYN if you are sexually active. You can ask them for advice regarding various issues, such as birth control, contraception, sterilisation, safe sex tips, etc. They will also guide you as to how to prevent or treat serious sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) like HIV.
- If you are planning to have a baby, you should also see an OB-GYN.
- OB-GYNs provide prenatal care, labour and birthing options too.
Points to be considered while selecting an obstetrician-gynaecologist (OB-GYN):
If you are planning to see an Obstetrician – Gynaecologist (OB-GYN), consider the following points before selecting the right OB-GYN depending on your goals:
- You will need the best prenatal care during pregnancy as regular check-ups will help you eliminate complications that can affect you and your baby.
- Your doctor will plan a schedule and fix your appointments as part of regular check- ups.
What to expect on the visit in case of pregnancy?
- During your visit during prenatal care, your doctor will do an ultrasound to keep track of the baby’s health. Ultrasound during pregnancy can detect abnormalities such as Down Syndrome or Ectopic Pregnancy.
**Ultrasound during the first trimester helps in detecting the number of embryos (single, twins or multiple) developing inside the womb. Gestational age and expected
due date of the baby can also be predicted.
**Ultrasounds during the second trimester (18-20 weeks of pregnancy) will determine the development of foetal structures such as limbs, spine, internal organs and the placental size and location.
**Ultrasound performed during or at the end of the third trimester gives an idea
about the overall development of the baby and the exact location of the placenta.
- Women without medical complications may be suggested a normal delivery in which the baby is born through the vagina (birth canal). Low risk of infection, quick recovery and a shorter stay in hospital are some of the benefits of a normal delivery.
- Women with medical conditions may be suggested caesarean delivery (C-section). Deliveries through C-sections reduce the chances of complications in the case of multiple babies (twins, triplets, etc.) or if the baby is too large for vaginal delivery.
It is also preferred under medical conditions like placenta previa, obstruction in the birth canal, etc.
Best obstetrician – gynaecologist (OB-GYN) in Delhi-NCR
Dr Shashi Arora, HOD, Obstetrics & Gynaecology, Yashoda Hospital & Research Centre, Nehru Nagar, Ghaziabad is the best Obstetrician & Gynaecologist in Delhi NCR.
With medical experience spanning more than 40 years, she has performed 60,000+ deliveries to date. She specializes in all women-related issues including hysterectomy and advanced laparoscopy surgery.
Dr Jyotsana Agarwal is one of the best gynaecologists and obstetricians in Delhi NCR. Shhas experiencece of 30 years in the field of gynaecology having mentored many medical practitioners. She is known for the treatment of various diseases during pregnancy.
Dr Aparna Arya Tyagi has expertise in high-risk obstetrics management, caesarean deliveries, open gynae surgeries, infertility and gynae cases. Besides this, she specialises in preventive oncology of the female reproductive system as well as in diagnosing and managing high-risk pregnancies.
Women must visit an obstetrician–gynaecologist (OB-GYN) since the onset of puberty and first periods at least once a year and especially during pregnancy.
If you are living in Delhi NCR, Yashoda Hospital & Research Centre, Nehru Nagar, Ghaziabad is the best hospital for consultation with an Obstetrician-gynaecologist. Our OB-GYNs are well-renowned for providing the best services related to women’s healthcare.
They carry out all major and minor surgeries with great care and precision. For more details, reach us at www.yashodahealthcare.com or call 9810922042.