People of all ages at some point may encounter vision-related troubles and this situation can occur either due to the passage of time or an injury. Any change in the quality of eyesight can have a huge impact on our lives. Before the vision starts deteriorating a person must opt for a vision correction procedure.
Laser-assisted in-situ keratomileusis or LASIK is a surgical procedure commonly used to correct vision problems in humans. Lasik surgery is considered to be the third most popular surgical procedure after tooth extraction and cataract surgery globally.
Lasik surgery uses laser technology to treat various vision-related problems:
- Myopia or nearsightedness: It is a condition in which a person can see nearby objects clearly but the vision becomes blurry when they look at distant objects.
- Hypermetropia (Hyperopia) or farsightedness: It is a condition in which a person can see distant objects very clearly but the vision may become hazy or cloudy for nearby objects.
- Astigmatism: It is a condition that causes blurry vision due to imperfections in the shape of the cornea.
Doctors perform Lasik surgery by flattening the eye and cutting a thin flap of tissue to reshape the central section of the cornea. This allows the light to enter the eye and focus properly on the retina giving you clear vision.
As per the reports of the American Academy of Ophthalmology, it is observed that over 90 percent of the people who undergo Lasik surgery are able to achieve between 20/20 to 20/40 vision without the help of glasses or contact lenses.
Why do people choose Lasik Eye Surgery?
Here are some of the most common reasons to opt for Lasik eye surgery:
- Lasik surgery treats various eye conditions like myopia, hypermetropia, astigmatism, etc. so most people opt for this surgery to improve vision which may not be possible with glasses or contact lenses.
- Most people undergo Lasik surgery as it gives them freedom from eye glasses and contact lenses.
- Lasik surgery is very cost-effective and should be considered an investment that pays for itself over time. The cost of the surgery is very close to the cost of frequently buying and repairing the glasses and the contact lenses.
- Lasik surgery can help in avoiding certain vision-related health concerns like frequent headaches turning into severe migraine. These health issues generally occur in people who wear glasses.
- In absence of proper hygiene, contact lenses may cause eye infections, dryness, and itching sensation, etc.
- Thus to avoid such complications people undergo Lasik surgery.
- People who hate to wear glasses and find it difficult to adapt to contact lenses are the ones who try to get rid of this through Lasik surgery. The thought that they no longer have to wear these lenses anymore post-surgery boost their self-confidence and physical appearance.
- Lasik surgery will make putting on makeup a much more pleasurable experience for those who dislike wearing eyeglasses or contact lenses.
- Lasik surgery improves vision at a very great pace.
- People who are involved in sports activities like playing football, or cricket or fitness activities like running, gymming, bodybuilding, etc. generally choose Lasik surgery as it becomes really difficult to get involved in these activities when wearing glasses or contact lenses. After this surgery, you can play, run, or do whatever you want to without having anything to worry about.
- Sometimes people find it difficult to select careers in defense, police, or pilot as these jobs require a candidate with perfect vision. Lasik surgery removes such barriers between you and your dream job.
- Lasik surgery is an easy, pain-free outpatient procedure as it creates no or very little discomfort. With the advancement in technology, this procedure is very safe and efficient.
What is the best age for Lasik Surgery?
Age is always considered one of the main factors to be a good candidate for Lasik surgery. Experts always recommend that Lasik surgery should not be performed for vision correction in children and teens below the age of 18 years. If vision correction is performed at such an early age it is observed that the person cannot draw maximum benefits from the surgery as the results may be temporary and the person might need to wear prescribed glasses. FDA has approved Lasik surgery for patients of age 18 years and above.
It is often seen that vision generally fluctuates and changes until the age of 23 or 24. By the age of 26 or 27 eyeglasses and contact lens, prescriptions are most likely to be stable. Thus ophthalmologists prefer this age for Lasik surgery as the vision is stable. In the middle age patients (40-60) presbyopia begins to appear and they might need a reading glass. For this age group, certain factors like a family history of corneal disorders, glaucoma, and diabetes are always considered by the doctor before suggesting Lasik surgery. Certain pre-existing conditions like cataracts, glaucoma, or age-related macular degeneration are some of the factors which are always considered before operating on patients of age 60 and above.
With the advancement in technology, more and more people are considering Lasik surgery in order to get perfect vision. It is considered to be the safest surgery with excellent and reliable outcomes. In case of doubt related to Lasik surgery, you can book an appointment with the best ophthalmologists at Yashoda Hospitals and Research Centre, Nehru Nagar, Ghaziabad. They are highly skilled and experienced and will guide you about everything related to the surgery.
Dr. Arpit Pavaiya is one of the best ophthalmologists in Delhi NCR and currently leads the ophthalmology division at Yashoda Hospital and Research Centre as a Senior Consultant. Dr. Pavaiya has an experience of more than 5 years in treating and diagnosing various rare disorders of the eye. Dr. Pavaiya has a specialization in treating medical conditions like glaucoma and cataract and has performed over 6000 cataract surgeries and helped people in restoring their vision.