Is Having Sex During Periods (Menstruation) Safe?
Sexual Activity during Menstruation (Periods)
Menstruation (also known as periods) is the discharge of blood and mucus from the uterus through the vagina. Every month, the female body prepares itself for pregnancy. Consequently, the endometrium layer of the uterus grows and thickens. In the absence of pregnancy, this layer breaks off and is discharged through the vagina.
Any sexual activity during menstruation is known as period sex. Sexual activities during menstruation have always been considered taboo due to people’s misconceptions regarding period sex. Nevertheless, some find period sex pleasurable while others may consider it uncomfortable. Yet, many questions arise in our minds regarding intercourse during menstruation. These queries and myths related to period sex can be resolved only when people have the access to the right information that would help them in choosing that which is good for their overall health, in general and sexual health, in particular. In this blog, we will try to answer some of the frequently asked queries related to sexual activity during menstruation (period sex).
Is having sex during menstruation (Periods) safe?
That you should not have sex during menstruation is a myth. Both the partners can enjoy period sex provided they are aware of the risks associated with it. Any sexual activity during menstruation is not much different from regular sex. However, a lot of people think that intercourse during periods can result in extreme blood loss. This creates a misconception in their minds.
The reality: The vagina acts as an IV bag through which blood oozes out very slowly. If your partner bleeds during intercourse, there is no need to worry as only a few tablespoons of blood is lost during sexual activity.
Hence, sexual activities during menstruation are completely safe until and unless they cause pain and/or discomfort. If that is the case, communication is the best option. Talk to your partner and describe how you feel about it. You can also consult a gynaecologist if the situation is out of your reach. She will provide you the best solution and treatment for your prevailing health condition.
Benefits of having sex during periods:
There is no scientific evidence to prove that sex during periods can result in any negative impacts on health. In fact, many women find several benefits of having sex while menstruating. Some of the benefits of having period sex are as follows:
- Sex during periods can ease abdominal cramps as the uterus muscles are contracting during menstruation. It is often experienced by the women that orgasm (sexual arousal) during sex works wonders in relieving abdominal cramps as it releases certain hormones like endorphins that relieves period pain and makes you feel good.
- Blood from the menstrual flow acts as a natural lubricant which women find better than using artificial lubricants as it lubricates all parts of the vagina evenly.
- Muscle contraction during menstruation can clear up the uterus content thus shortening the menstrual cycle. This can be seen as the biggest advantage of having period sex.
- Studies shows that endorphins released during period sex can partially/completely relieve period symptoms and headache.
- It helps in relieving stress thereby decreasing the level of anxiety and strain caused due to the ongoing change in the menstrual cycle.
- Hormonal fluctuations change the libido (sexual desire) throughout the menstrual cycle. This increases the sex drive during periods.
Safety concerns during period sex:
- The probability of getting pregnant during period sex is low but is not ruled out completely because the woman might have a shorter menstrual cycle or menstrual irregularities. Hence, there may be still chances that the egg released from the ovary gets fertilised with the sperm as the sperms can live up to 7 days in the reproductive tract.
- Unprotected sex (without using a condom) may lead to unwanted pregnancy and spread of sexually transmitted diseases (STD) such as human immunodeficiency virus (HIV), hepatitis, etc. These viruses can be transmitted easily through the infected menstrual blood. Hence, it is always advisable to use condom while having sex to reduce the chances of transmitting STDs (they can adversely affect your health). Though some of the STDs might be curable, others can be life threatening. So always use protection and have safe sex.
- Women who use tampons during menstruation need to remove it right before having sex as it may push the tampon deep inside the vagina. Forgotten tampons (inside the vagina) can lead to the development of bacterial and yeast infections in the vagina.
Sex during periods can be messy so proper planning can reduce the clean-up process.
Here are some tips which you can follow while having sex during periods:
- Sex during menstruation can cause discomfort to some women. Talk to your partner without any hesitation, telling him/her how you feel about it.
- Tampons and menstrual cups should be removed before sex as bacterial infections might develop if they (tampons or menstrual cups) are left behind.
- Use dark coloured towels to seize any blood leak. This will reduce the chances of mess during sex.
- Some sex positions make you feel uncomfortable during menstruation; hence, try only those positions which you find comfortable during periods.
Sexual health and wellness are essential for both partners. If you have any doubts or question(s) regarding the risk of infection, chances of getting pregnant, hygiene-related issues, etc. do not feel shy or hesitate in consulting a good gynaecologist. They will suggest you the best solution for the queries related to regular sex or sex during menstruation so that you can enjoy your sex life even in those days.
If you want to consult about your prevailing condition, book an appointment at Yashoda Hospital and get the best treatment by our gynecologist in Delhi NCR.
Our Specialists at Yashoda Hospital & Research Centre, Nehru Nagar, Ghaziabad:
Dr. Shashi Arora, HOD, Obstetrics & Gynecology, Yashoda Hospital & Research Centre, Nehru Nagar, Ghaziabad is the best Obstetrician & Gynecologist in Delhi NCR. With a medical experience spanning a period of more than 40 years, she has performed 60,000+ deliveries till date. She specializes in all women-related issues including hysterectomy and advanced laparoscopy surgery.
Dr. Jyotsana Agarwal is one of the best gynecologists and obstetricians in Delhi NCR with experience spanning 30 years in the field of gynecology. She is an expert at handling diseases during pregnancy.
Dr. Aparna Arya Tyagi, consultant, Obstetrics & Gynecology at Yashoda Hospital & Research Centre has great experience in high-risk obstetrics management, serious cesarean deliveries, open gynae surgeries, infertility and gynae cases. She specialises in preventive oncology of female reproductive system as well as in diagnosing and managing high-risk pregnancies.