Breast Reduction Surgery
With the popularity of the Kardashian sisters, plastic surgery, or cosmetic surgical touch-ups, has become a new go-to beauty enhancer and the most preferred way to feel confident in your own body. Various cosmetic procedures such as rhinoplasty (nose job), Botox, butt lift, facelift; lip augmentation have become the most preferred procedures among customers. Along with these, Breast procedures such as augmentation and reduction, too are in high demand in the market.
Breast Reduction, also known as reduction mammoplasty, is a surgical procedure performed by a plastic surgeon to remove extra fat from the breasts. It gives the patient, desired body and provides relief from various physical constraints that it has been putting on them.
REASONS FOR OPTING FOR THE SURGERY
Women with large breasts often experience painful neck, shoulders, and back. The excessive weight put stress on the neck and shoulder muscles thus causing constant headaches, bad posture, and herniated disc. Exercising and doing physical activities too become difficult for them.
In some cases, larger breasts may become a reason for feeling anxious and conscious about one’s physical appearance for both men and women and may lead to psychological problems such as depression, anxiety issues, feeling insecure, etc.
Males having medical conditions like gynecomastia, in which the breasts swell up due to the excessive production of estrogens, too experience a lot of challenges in day-to-day life.
Thus, breast reduction is a way of providing relief against both the physical and psychological challenges a patient has to face.
TYPES OF BREAST REDUCTION SURGERY
Depending upon the size of the breasts and the amount of fat to be removed, there are different types of breast reduction surgeries:
- Liposuction: During this procedure, the surgeon will insert a thin tube connected to a vacuum through the incision and allow it to suck fat and fluids from the breasts. This procedure works best in the case of small reductions or in the case of male breast reductions.
- Vertical or Lollipop: In this procedure, the surgeon will remove extra fat and tissue by making cuts around the areola and down the crease. The doctor reshapes the breast after the surgery. This procedure works best in moderate reductions.
- Inverted T or Anchor: This is the best procedure for large reductions and for people with sagging or loose skin. During this, the surgeon will make incisions around the areola to the breast crease and underneath the breast and will use drainage tubes to remove the fat.
CONSULTATION AND DIAGNOSTIC PROCEDURES:
Once you have made up your mind, your doctor or surgeon will provide you with basic information about the surgery and will run some routine exams to examine, whether you are a candidate for surgery or not. The consultation might include:
- The surgeon will ask you about your prior medical history and might ask you the reason why you wanted to undergo the surgery.
- After getting the necessary details doctor will examine your breast and might take photos or measure them. A mammogram is also done to get a better understanding of the area to be treated.
- Depending upon the examination the doctor will provide necessary details about how much fat will be removed and which procedure will be opted for.
- He will advise you to quit smoking and some over-the-counter drugs like ibuprofen, aspirin, etc. at least a month before going for surgery.
- Before going for the surgery, one should consult at least three to four medical practitioners to get the best advice possible.
After the consultation and providing every possible detail and running all the examination procedures, the doctors will prepare you for the surgery. It includes the following steps:
- The doctor will advise you to fast and not drink water at least 12 hours prior to the surgery.
- Depending upon the type of surgery, general or local anesthesia would be given.
- After all the necessary preparations, the surgeon will first draw the mark of incision to be made with a marker around the breast.
- Depending upon the type of surgery to be performed, the incisions are made.
- The surgeon will remove the required fat and tissue from the area and reshape the breast by repositioning the areola and nipples.
The incisions are stitched with the help of sutures or surgical tapes.
After the procedure is done, the breasts are wrapped in gauge tapes by the doctors.
Sometimes insertion tubes are placed into the breast to remove excessive fluids due to swelling after the surgery.
After the surgery, you will be allowed to go home on the same day and will need to be cautious about the following things:
- You will be required to rest for several weeks to recover properly.
- Don’t do any movements associated with breast and shoulder muscles for several weeks.
- Avoid lifting heavy weights and items.
- You should take pain relieving medicines to get relief from breast soreness.
- Apply topical solutions to the treated area regularly.
- On the advice of doctors only, start wearing a bra again.
RISKS AND COMPLICATIONS OF MAMMOPLASTY:
Like any other surgical or medical procedure, Breast reduction or mammoplasty too accompany some degree of risks and complications. Some of these include:
- Accumulation of fluid around the treated area
- Development of infection due to suture material or adhesives
- Changes in breast and nipple sensations
- Asymmetry in the size of breasts
- Complications in breastfeeding activities
- Allergic reactions to anesthesia or other medications
- Development of nodes around the treated area
- Long recovery time
Therefore, it is advised that one should seek professional medical assistance for the surgery to avoid the following risks or lessen the number of complications related to the surgery.
Yashoda Hospital and Research Centre at Nehru Nagar in Ghaziabad provides a team of experienced and eminent doctors for medical consultations.
Though Breast Reductions are being performed largely these days, one should still think and can opt for various alternatives instead of going under the knife. Exercising, putting on a perfectly fitted bra, and taking psychological consultations might help. Bodies come in different shapes and sizes and what we should learn is – to love and embrace them, the way they are. We should love ourselves instead of longing for being loved.